By David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar
- An crucial source for college students and lecturers of modernist literature and culture
- Broad in scope and accomplished in coverage
- Includes greater than 60 contributions from one of the most unusual modernist students on either side of the Atlantic
- Brings jointly entries on components of modernist tradition, modern highbrow and aesthetic pursuits, and the entire genres of modernist writing and art
- Features 25 essays at the sign texts of modernist literature, from James Joyce’s Ulysses to Zora Neal Hurston’s Their Eyes have been gazing God
- Pays shut recognition to either British and American modernism
Read Online or Download A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
How did nice Britain, which entered the 20 th century as a dominant empire, reinvent itself in response to its fears and fantasies in regards to the usa? Investigating the anxieties as a result of the invasion of yankee culture-from jazz to Ford motor vehicles to Hollywood films-during the 1st half the 20th century, Genevieve Abravanel theorizes the increase of the yankee leisure Empire as a brand new variety of imperialism that threatened Britain's personal.
Like many males of his new release, poet Robert Graves used to be indelibly marked via his adventure of trench struggle in global conflict I. The awful battles within which he fought and his guilt over surviving whilst such a lot of perished left Graves shell-shocked and disoriented, desperately looking how to bridge the rupture among his traditional upbringing and the uncertainties of postwar British society.
Within the Labors of Modernism, Mary Wilson analyzes the unrecognized function of family servants within the experimental varieties and narratives of Modernist fiction through Virginia Woolf, Gertrude Stein, Nella Larsen, and Jean Rhys. analyzing problems with type, gender, and race in a transatlantic Modernist context, Wilson brings awareness to where the place servants input literature: the brink.
The Wilhelmine Empire? s establishing a long time (1870s - Eighties) have been an important transitional years within the improvement of German modernism, either politically and culturally. right here Marsha Morton argues that no artist represented the shift from culture to unsettling innovation extra compellingly than Max Klinger.
- Wide Awake in Slumberland: Fantasy, Mass Culture, and Modernism in the Art of Winsor McCay (Great Comics Artists Series)
- Modernism and Theory: A Critical Debate
- Modernism in Kyiv: Jubilant Experimentation
Extra resources for A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar