By Martha P. Nochimson
- Brings jointly the main innovative, in-depth, and engaging scholarship on arguably the best residing Asian filmmaker, from a multinational crew of demonstrated and emerging movie students and critics
- Covers a tremendous breadth of subject matters reminiscent of the culture of the jianghu in Wong's motion pictures; queering Wong's movies no longer by way of gender yet in the course of the artist's liminality; the phenomenological Wong; Wong's intertextuality; the USA via Wong's eyes; the optics of intensities, thresholds, and transfers of strength in Wong's cinema; and the diasporic presence of a few women from Shanghai in Wong's Hong Kong
- Examines the political, ancient, and sociological impact of Wong and his paintings, and discusses his paintings from various views together with smooth, post-modern, postcolonial, and queer theory
- Includes appendices which study Wong’s paintings in Hong Kong tv and commercials
Read or Download A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) PDF
Similar film & video art books
CONTENTS1. the area of indicators: creation as Consumption/Consumption as creation 2. Pitfalls of the 'Tourist Gaze': Ecotourist Dialogues and the Politics of world Resistance three. 'National Elf Services': prepared Capitalism as Resistance four. Corelli is going to Hollywood: Crypto-Colonial Histories and native Resistance five.
Initially released in 1964, this ebook tells the heritage of the British cinematograph for the 1st time. It describes moments of best triumph and others of shattering failure. The temper switches from reckless optimism to demoralising pessimism, from years during which British movies received the top overseas awards to these after they have been disregarded with scorn.
Notwithstanding usually noticeable as considered one of America’s local cinematic genres, the line motion picture has lent itself to diversified overseas contexts and encouraged a number of filmmakers. As analyzed during this examine, from its so much prevalent origins in Hollywood the line motion picture has turn into an international movie perform, no matter if as a car for exploring the connection among a number of nationwide contexts and American cinema, as a method of narrating diversified nationwide and continental histories, or as a kind of person filmmaking expression.
This two-part quantity features a accomplished number of unique experiences by way of famous students targeting the Bible’s wide-ranging reception in global cinema. it really is prepared into sections studying the wealthy cinematic afterlives of chosen characters from the Hebrew Bible and New testomony; contemplating problems with biblical reception throughout a wide range of movie genres, starting from noir to anime; that includes administrators, from Lee Chang-dong to the Coen brothers, whose physique of labor finds a permanent fascination with biblical texts and motifs; and supplying topical essays on cinema’s remedy of chosen biblical subject matters (e.
- The Coming of Sound
- Character Kings 2: Hollywood's Familiar Faces Discuss the Art & Business of Acti
- Chinese Film Stars (Routledge Contemporary China Series)
- Video On Demand - Television For A New Millenium
- Hal Ashby and the Making of Harold and Maude
Extra info for A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors)
A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) by Martha P. Nochimson