By Joel Faflak,Julia M. Wright
- Focuses on British Romanticism whereas additionally addressing continental and transatlantic Romanticism and prior periods
- Utilizes keyword phrases resembling mind's eye, elegant, poetics, philosophy, race, historiography, and visible tradition as issues of entry to the learn of Romanticism and the theoretical matters and the tradition of the period
- Explores issues imperative to Romanticism experiences and the serious developments of the final thirty years
Read or Download A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Romantic Atheism explores the hyperlinks among English Romantic poetry and the 1st burst of outspoken atheism in Britain from the 1780s onwards. Martin Priestman examines the paintings of Blake, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Shelley, Byron and Keats of their so much intellectually radical classes, constructing the intensity in their engagement with such discourses, and occasionally their energetic participation.
This e-book surveys and translates the masses of satirical poems and prose narratives released in Britain in the course of the Romantic interval. even if satire used to be a tremendous style with a large readership, such works were principally ignored through literary students, happy that satire disappeared within the past due eighteenth century.
This publication makes use of medical psychoanalytic conception to demonstrate how early British Gothic fiction finds undercurrents of psychopathological habit. It demonstrates that mental insights won from Gothic romance count on the later medical findings of psychoanalysis. Chapters contemplate the department of the Gothic novel’s serious reception among allegory and romance; how the constitution of early British Gothic romance parallels Freud’s thought of the uncanny; the genre’s perverse origins in Walpole’s The citadel of Otranto; sexual differentiation and the parallel among improvement of Gothic romance an improvement of the psyche; Ann Radcliffe and the fear of tension; Matthew Lewis and obsessional neurosis; and the confusion among self and different in Hogg’s the personal Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner.
This new critique of up to date African-American fiction explores its intersections with and reviews of the Gothic style. Wester finds the myriad methods writers manage the style to critique the gothic's conventional racial ideologies and the mechanisms that have been appropriated and re-articulated as an invaluable automobile for the enunciation of the ordinary terrors and complexities of black life in the US.
- Romancing Fascism: Modernity and Allegory in Benjamin, de Man, Shelley
- Old Mortality (Oxford World's Classics)
- Romantic Fiat: Demystification and Enchantment in Lyric Poetry
- On the Ruins of Babel: Architectural Metaphor in German Thought (Signale: Modern German Letters, Cultures, and Thought)
- Romantic Paradox: An Essay on the Poetry of Wordsworth: Volume 8 (RLE: Wordsworth and Coleridge)
Extra info for A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks)
A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks) by Joel Faflak,Julia M. Wright