By Scott Oldenburg
Using either canonical and underappreciated texts, Alien Albion argues that early sleek England was once a ways much less unified and xenophobic than literary critics have formerly recommended. Juxtaposing literary texts from the interval with criminal, non secular, and financial files, Scott Oldenburg uncovers how immigrants to England cast ties with their English hosts and the way these relationships have been mirrored in literature that imagined inclusive, multicultural communities.
Through discussions of civic pageantry, the performs of dramatists together with William Shakespeare, Thomas Dekker, and Thomas Middleton, the poetry of Anne Dowriche, and the prose of Thomas Deloney, Alien Albion demanding situations assumptions in regards to the origins of English nationwide identification and the significance of non secular, classification, and native identities within the early smooth era.
Read or Download Alien Albion: Literature and Immigration in Early Modern England PDF
Best literary renaissance criticism books
Even though it turns out that erotic love typically was once the existing subject within the medieval international and the Early glossy Age, parallel to this the Ciceronian excellent of friendship additionally ruled the general public discourse, as this choice of essays demonstrates. Following an intensive advent, the person contributions discover the services and the nature of friendship from overdue Antiquity (Augustine) to the seventeenth century.
With distinctive awareness to the poems For Lancelot Andrewes, trip of the Magi, and Ash-Wednesday , G. Douglas Atkins bargains a thrilling new research of T. S. Eliot's debt to the seventeenth-century churchman Lancelot Andrewes and his theories of examining and writing texts.
A learn of ecu utopias in context from the early years of Henry VIII’s reign to the recovery, this e-book is the 1st complete try due to the fact J. C. Davis’ Utopia and the appropriate Society (1981) to appreciate the societies projected via utopian literature from Thomas More’s Utopia (1516) to the political idealism and millenarianism of the mid-seventeenth century.
The Spanish Tragedy used to be the 1st 'revenge tragedy' at the English Renaissance degree: yet for its impression, significant dramas together with The Revenger's Tragedy, The Duchess of Malfi or even Hamlet wouldn't exist as they do. it truly is hence a key textual content for the examine of Renaissance drama and generally seems in introductory undergraduate classes on Renaissance drama and Shakespeare.
- Music and the Renaissance: "Renaissance, Reformation and Counter-Reformation ... " (A Library of Essays on Renaissance Music)
- Music and Culture in the Middle Ages and Beyond: Liturgy, Sources, Symbolism
- Machiavellian Encounters in Tudor and Stuart England: Literary and Political Influences from the Reformation to the Restoration (Anglo-Italian Renaissance Studies)
- Shakespeare’s Asian Journeys: Critical Encounters, Cultural Geographies, and the Politics of Travel (Routledge Studies in Shakespeare)
- Must We Divide History Into Periods? (European Perspectives: A Series in Social Thought and Cultural Criticism)
- The Cambridge Companion to Renaissance Humanism (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
Extra resources for Alien Albion: Literature and Immigration in Early Modern England
Alien Albion: Literature and Immigration in Early Modern England by Scott Oldenburg